Evolution of Biltmore Farms
In the midst of the construction of Biltmore House, in 1897, George W. Vanderbilt founded Biltmore Dairy Farms. Originally intended to support his estate and test innovative agricultural theories, the venture, with its surplus production, evolved into a large-scale commercial operation.
By the mid-1900s, Biltmore Farms had become a major supplier of milk and ice cream for five southeastern states. Pet, Inc. acquired the dairy business in the 1980s. Under the direction of Vanderbilt’s grandson, George H.V. Cecil, and great-grandson, current Biltmore Farms’ President John F.A.V. Cecil, the company has evolved into one of Western North Carolina’s most prominent community development firms. Today, the company’s more than one hundred employees build and operate residential homes, planned communities, and commercial and hotel properties throughout the greater Asheville region.
Biltmore Farms Portfolio
Biltmore Farms Communities
In addition to Biltmore Lake, Biltmore Farms also offers these fine communities:
- The Ramble Biltmore Forest: Inspired by the legacies of George W. Vanderbilt and iconic landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, The Ramble features luxury homes and homesites in a park-like setting directly in the midst of Asheville’s amenities and ever-present charms.
Biltmore Farms Homes
Biltmore Farms Homes focuses attention on closely-held values of customer service, structural integrity, fine craftsmanship, lasting quality, and environmental sensitivity. Its work as a quality builder through the years has come to life in The Ramble, Biltmore Forest, Biltmore Lake, Southcliff, Holly Springs, and Fox Run Preserve. Clients benefit from detailed design consultations, efficient build times, quality and cost controls. Biltmore Farms Homes provides a comprehensive one year warranty and a 10 year limited structural warranty for its residential products.
Biltmore Farms Commercial
Biltmore Farms Hotels
- Doubletree Biltmore Hotel: Just outside the historic Biltmore Estate and on the outskirts of Biltmore Village, the Doubletree Biltmore is an idyllic destination for a vacation, company meeting or special event. Features include the Vanderbilt Executive Tower, an indoor pool, wireless internet and ultra comfortable guest accommodations.
- Hilton Asheville: A Silver LEED® Certified hotel, Hilton Asheville welcomes guests as an innovative and luxurious home-away-from-home for vacation, business trip, or visit to Western North Carolina. The first green hotel of its kind in the region, the building features a large-scale solar water heating system and an array of energy efficient features. The property, located in Biltmore Park Town Square, also includes an on-site spa and event venues.
- Residence Inn Asheville Biltmore: If you are planning an extended stay in Asheville, the Residence Inn is a topflight choice. Its kitchens, living and work areas, grocery shopping services and exercise options work together to make every stay personally rewarding.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Asheville – Biltmore Village: This hotel property features a clean, modern design with vibrant colors reflecting the spirit of the City, as well as Biltmore Farms Hotels’ superior service respecting our Vanderbilt legacy.
The Biltmore Lake Charitable Fund
The Biltmore Lake Charitable Fund was established by Biltmore Farms, LLC, the community development firm and founder of the Biltmore Lake community, to improve the quality of life in the Enka-Candler area (where the Biltmore Lake neighborhood is located). The primary goal of the fund has always been to enhance the local community by supporting education, economic development, health care, the arts & culture, and the environment and quality of life. The fund was initially seeded by Biltmore Farms and a portion of the proceeds of lot and home sales over the years also benefited the endowment fund, creating a sizable resource to support charitable projects.
The Biltmore Lake Charitable Fund is administered by the Community Foundation of Western North Carolina and is currently a sustaining fund. Twice yearly, grant proposals are reviewed by the charitable fund’s board, which includes Biltmore Farms representatives and Enka-Candler residents. Tax-exempt and governmental entities the serve the Enka-Candler community but not specifically the Biltmore Lake neighborhood, are eligible to apply for the grants. Under special circumstance allocations are also made based on unforeseen community need, such as the COVID-19 crisis.
2019 Awards and Contributions
- $75,000 contributed to the Emergency and Disaster Response Fund activated and administered by The Community Foundation of Western North Carolina to support nonprofit organizations serving individuals and families whose needs have been exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. Read more about grant recipients here.
- $100,000 contributed to the One Buncombe Fund. The mission of the One Buncombe Fund is to support the basic needs of individuals who have lost employment due to COVID-19 and to provide bridge funding to small businesses during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Candler Elementary School was awarded $12,000 to replace an aging playground.
- Enka Intermediate School was awarded $10,700 for iPads and heavy-duty covers.
- Guardian ad Litem Association of Buncombe County was awarded $5,000 to help meet needs of
- children who are in DSS custody.
- Hominy Valley Elementary School was awarded $8,500 to purchase decodable readers for students who are developing their reading skills.
- Journeymen was awarded $5,000 to implement and run a weekly mentoring group for 8th grade boys.
- Pisgah Elementary School was awarded $10,000 to purchase text and digital resources to improve student reading scores.
- Verner was awarded $7,500 to provide high quality, comprehensive early childhood education to 12 preschool children ages 3-5.
Since 2005, the Biltmore Lake Charitable Fund has provided more than $1 million to schools, nonprofits, and other various programs and initiatives that strengthen the local community. Visit the Community Foundation of Western North Carolina website to learn more about the fund and how to apply.